About This Place
Telford is an unincorporated community in Washington County, Tennessee, United States, between Jonesborough and Limestone. Originally, Millwood was the name of the Telford area, according to the map of Washington County, Tennessee Post Offices (1796-1900).
The community was called Millwood in early times and continued so for many years. It was not until 1855, when Colonel George Whitfield Telford donated about four acres of land to support local operations of the East Tennessee and Virginia Railroad, that the name Millwood was changed to Telford Depot. At a date sometime after 1876 the word "Depot" was discontinued and the single name Telford adopted.
Col. George Whitfield Telford, was a major influence in the development of the county. He operated the Telford Manufacturing Company and also served as a state senator.