About This Place
White Bluff is a town in Dickson County, Tennessee, United States. The population was 2,142 at the 2000 census. The community name derives from the White Bluff Iron Forge.
White Bluff was incorporated in 1869.
There have been several public and private schools in the area. The first public school was destroyed by fire in 1879. White Bluff now has White Bluff Elementary School and Williams James School. The original William James was built in 1923 on land donated by Colonel William James, a Spanish-American War officer from whom it gets its team sports name, the Colonels, and who is entombed within the current building. (The 1923 building was demolished after the 1971-1972 school year.) It was formerly a high school (for many years all twelve grades were on the site) until 1972 when it became a junior high school (grades 7–9). In the 1999-2000 school year, the school was changed to a middle school (grades 5–8) as part of a district-wide realignment, thus its current name, William James Middle School.