About This Place
China Spring is an unincorporated community in northwestern McLennan County, Texas, United States. It lies approximately twelve miles northwest of Waco and is part of the Waco Metropolitan Statistical Area.
The China Spring Independent School District serves area students. China Spring is on Farm Road 1637 twelve miles northwest of Waco in northwestern McLennan County. Settlement of the area began as early as 1860, and the community was founded in 1867. It was named for a spring in a chinaberry grove. A post office was established at China Spring in May 1873 with Charles S. Eichelberger as postmaster. By the early 1880s the community had five steam cotton gins and gristmills, three general stores, a Methodist church, and 200 residents. Cotton, corn, and wool were the principal shipments from the area.
China Spring became the focus of a rural high school district in the late 1920s. Two churches, a school, and a good number of houses marked the community on topographic maps in the mid-1970s. The population for the year 2000 was reported at 4,087. The estimated median household income in 2005: $53,900 and the estimated median house/condo value in 2005: $119,100.