About This Place
Cleveland is a city in Liberty County, Texas, United States. The population was 7,605 at the 2000 census.
In 1854, a church and convent was built by Father Peter La Cour near the town's present site. The town began forming in 1878 when Charles Lander Cleveland, a local judge, donated 63.6 acres (257,000 m2) of land to the Houston East & West Texas Railway (formerly the Southern Pacific Railroad) for use as a stop, requesting that the town be named for him.
The town was not incorporated until 1935. City taxes were not levied until 1947, a condition so rare that it made for a story in Life magazine.