Covington is a city in Hill County in Northern Central Texas located on State Highway 171 twelve miles (19 km) north of Hillsboro in north central Hill County. It was founded by Colonel James. J. Gathings in the spring of 1852. The population was 282 at the 2000 census.
Covington is located at 32°10′37″N 97°15′26″W / 32.17694°N 97.25722°W / 32.17694; -97.25722 (32.176850, -97.257104).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 0.8 square miles (2.1 km²), all of it land.