About This Place
Rocksprings is a town in Edwards County, Texas, in the United States. As of the 2000 census, the town population was 1,285. It is the county seat of Edwards County. The town received its name from natural springs that bubble forth from the porous limestone rocks in the area.
J. R. Sweeten sited Rocksprings in 1891 because of the springs nearby. Also in 1891, the town acquired a post office and was made county seat. The original courthouse built in the town burned in 1897. By 1914 Rocksprings had a population of around 500.
On April 12, 1927, the town was hit by an F5 tornado that destroyed 235 of the 247 buildings in the town. The tornado killed 72 townspeople and injured 205, almost 1/3 of the population at the time.