About This Place
Smithville is a city in Bastrop County, Texas, United States, near the Colorado River. The population was 3,901 at the 2000 census. The population grew to an estimated 4,339 for 2004.
Smithville was established in 1827, when Thomas Gazely settled in the area and operated a store. A community sprang up around the store, and it was named Smithville, in honor of another early resident, William Smith. Gazely's store closed upon his death in 1853. J.P. Jones and Frank Smith opened another store in the community in 1867. A Presbyterian Church was organized in 1871. A post office was opened in 1876. In 1887, the railroad came to Smithville causing the town's population to boom, and the town was incorporated in March 1895. By 1900, Smithville had a population of 2,577.
Smithville is located at 30°00′26″N 97°09′18″W / 30.007096°N 97.154924°W / 30.007096; -97.154924. This location is 12 miles southeast of Bastrop and 42 miles southeast of Austin.