About This Place
Ivins ( /aɪvɨnz/) is a city in Washington County, Utah, United States. The population was 4,450 at the 2000 census, and it was estimated at 7,205 in 2006. Although Ivins was a town in 2000, it has since been classified as a fifth-class city by state law.
Prior to the arrival of Mormon settlers, this area was inhabited for thousands of years by the Paiute people and their ancestors. The Shivwits Band of Paiutes reservation is located immediately west of Ivins City.
Ivins was born out of the fulfilled dream of several men to bring water to the Santa Clara bench. This was not easy to accomplish. An eight-mile canal had to be built from the Santa Clara creek near the Shem smelter to the bench. This was not an easy undertaking, the route took them over steep mountain sides and deep ravines that needed to be siphoned or plumed. Work began in 1911 and the canal was completed in 1914. Ivins Reservoir was built to store the water in 1918. Civil engineers, Leo A. Snow and Clarence S. Jarvis first conceived the idea in 1909.