About This Place
Pittsford is a town in Rutland County, Vermont, United States. The town was named for William Pitt. As of the 2000 census, the town population was 3,140. Pittsford was first settled as a frontier town in 1769, about 60 miles from Bennington. It is the location of two historical picket forts used by the militia during the American Revolutionary War: Fort Mott (built in 1777), and Fort Vengeance (built from 1780 to 1781), about a mile north.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 43.6 square miles (112.8 km2), of which, 43.5 square miles (112.6 km2) of it is land and 0.1 square miles (0.2 km2) of it (0.18%) is water.