Covington is a city in King County, Washington, United States. The population was 17,575 at the time of the 2010 census. Prior to the 2010 census, Covington was counted as part of Covington-Sawyer-Wilderness CDP.
The area presently known as Covington was originally known as Jenkins Prairie. In the 1880s, the Northern Pacific Railroad commissioned a surveyor by the name of Covington to develop a railroad line between Auburn and Kanaskat. A stop along the route was named for him and eventually the area surrounding the depot would be called Covington.
Several logging companies set up in the area in the late 19th century, and services soon followed. A school district was established in 1937. Over the years the area grew as an unincorporated area of Kent.