About This Place
Duvall is a city in King County, Washington, United States, located on SR 203, halfway between Monroe and Carnation. The population was 6,695 at the 2010 census.
The area that became known as Duvall was historically the home of the Snoqualmie and other ancestral Tulalip Native American tribes. Following their relocation under the Treaty of Point Elliott, the area was homesteaded by veterans of the Civil War. The center of present-day town was located on a hillside homesteaded by Francis and James Duvall, loggers who arrived in 1871.
An early milestone in the settlement of Duvall proper was the relocation of the town of Cherry Valley. Around 1909, the Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul Railroad agreed to move Cherry Valley homes and businesses to Duvall in order to continue the construction of a railroad line along the Snoqualmie River. The newly-relocated town, briefly named Cosgrove after Samuel G. Cosgrove, underwent a real estate boom; streets and sidewalks were laid and a train depot was constructed. This was followed by construction of a movie house, a drug store, a new schoolhouse, and several hotels. By 1911, the Duvall Citizen began publishing regular editions of news events.