Edgewood is a city in Pierce County, Washington, United States. The population was 9,387 at the 2010 census. Neighboring towns include Milton to the northwest, Federal Way to the north, and Puyallup to the south.
The history of Edgewood can be traced to the Puyallup Indian tribe that lived along the Puyallup River. Dr. William Tolmie, a Scotsman working for the Hudson's Bay Company, passed through Edgewood in 1833 soon after becoming Chief Trader at Fort Nisqually. Tolmie had arrived at Fort Vancouver by ship from Britain in May 1833. Trappers with Indian wives had moved to the area in the 1830s and settlers in the 1850s.
Washington's first telegraph line paralleled Military Road that ran through the heart of Edgewood. Approximately 420 Americans (apart from Indians) resided in what is now Pierce County in 1858. By 1862, 681 non-Native Americans were reported to be residents of Pierce County. Evidence indicates that the first building on the North Hill (Surprise Lake) was a one-room log building formed as School District 27 in 1891. One of the first known residents in Edgewood was Peter Nyholm in 1895.