About This Place
Pullman is the largest city in Whitman County, Washington, United States. The population was 24,675 at the 2000 census and 29,799 according to the 2010 census. Originally incorporated as Three Forks, the city was later renamed after George Pullman.
Pullman is best known as the home of Washington State University, a four-campus land-grant university, and of Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories, an international firm in the power industry. Eight miles east of Pullman is Moscow, Idaho, home of the University of Idaho.
About five years after the establishment of Whitman County on November 29, 1871, Bolin Farr arrived, camping in 1876 at the confluence of Dry Flat Creek and Missouri Flat Creek, on the bank of the Palouse River. Within the year, Dan McKenzie and William Ellsworth arrived to stake claims for adjoining land. The first post office located there was named Three Forks. In the spring of 1881, Orville Stewart opened a general store and Bolin Farr platted about 10 acres (40,000 m2) of his land for a town. Pullman was incorporated in 1886 with a population of about 200 people. It was originally named Three Forks, after the three small rivers that converge there: Missouri Flat Creek, Dry Fork, and the South Fork of the Palouse River. Within the decade, Dan McKenzie and Charles Moore (of Moscow) replatted the site and named it for George Pullman of the Pullman Car Company.