About This Place
White Swan is a census-designated place (CDP) in Yakima County, Washington, United States. The population was 793 at the 2010 census. This was a 73.9% drop from the 2000 census.
White Swan is an unincorporated community located on the Yakima Indian Reservation. Presumably named after Chief White Swan of the Yakamas around the turn of the century. The town was on the Mt Adams Highway (an overland road between Yakima and The Dalles beginning in the 1850s) between Union Gap and Fort Simcoe. In September 1921, the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) (DOC) opened the Yakima Indian Christian Mission. The DOC hoped to establish a Christian home for children who would attend the public school in White Swan. In 1967, the former child-care facilities of the Mission were leased to the Sundown M Corporation. Using the registered cattle brand of the Mission (from the years it owned cattle) the Sundown M Ranch, began serving recovering alcoholics in 1968. Pacific Power & Light Company first brought electricity to the community in 1928. The White Swan Library (a branch of the Yakima Valley Regional library) was established in 1947. It was moved to a donated facility in 1969 where it stands today. White Swan is part of the Mt Adams School District #209, and home of White Swan High School. The town has never been formally incorporated.
White Swan is located at 46°23′40″N 120°42′11″W / 46.39444°N 120.70306°W / 46.39444; -120.70306 (46.394444, -120.702958).