About This Place
Chilton is a city in and county seat of Calumet County in the U.S. state of Wisconsin. The population was 3,708 at the 2000 census. The city is located partially within the Town of Chilton.
The first residents of Chilton were African-American Moses Stanton and his Native-American wife, Catherine, who arrived in January 1845. The city formed around his saw mill and a grist mill a few years later. The village was originally called Stantonville. John Marygold bought the place in 1852 and called it "Chilington," referring to his native town Chillington in England. He sent a verbal message to have the name change recorded in Stockbridge, then the county seat. Because the middle ing in the name was accidentally omitted, the municipality was recorded as Chilton.
Chilton is located at 44°1′50″N 88°9′31″W / 44.03056°N 88.15861°W / 44.03056; -88.15861 (44.030745, -88.158704), along the South Branch of the Manitowoc River.