About This Place
Darlington is a city in and the county seat of Lafayette County in the U.S. state of Wisconsin. The population was 2,451 at the 2010 census. The city is surrounded by the Town of Darlington.
The first white man’s residence within the city limits of Darlington was a log house owned by Jamison Hamilton in 1836. He laid out the village of Avon, or Centre, in 1847. Darlington was first organized in 1849, but was known for a long time as the town of Centre. The first town meeting was held on April 3, 1849, with 82 votes being cast.
The first store was built in 1848. Two more were started in 1851, a millinery shop run by Miss Graham and a store run by Mr. Driver. The first hardware store was opened in 1852 by the Willett Brothers, and the first drug store was opened by J. Collins and Dr. Blair, who was the first resident physician in the city. The first school was opened in the winter of 1850, with 15 students. The first religious services were held some time in 1851 in the barn of Jamison Hamilton. The Mineral Point Railroad reached the town in the fall of 1856, and the citizens were very pleased that their dream of expanding their “village” was finally coming true.