About This Place
Grafton is a village in Ozaukee County, Wisconsin, United States. The population was 10,312 at the 2000 census. The village is adjacent to the Town of Grafton and the City of Cedarburg.
The area now known as Grafton is one of the oldest in Ozaukee County. In 1838, Timothy Wooden purchased approximately 145 acres (0.59 km2) of land, which became the business district of Grafton. By 1841 development was underway, with the area consisting mainly of settlers of German descent. Located along the Milwaukee River, the village was incorporated in 1896. During the next century, Grafton's economy grew from a predominantly lumber-oriented industry base to a community of many occupations.
A small community called Ulao, which was located just east of Grafton, was annexed by Grafton.