About This Place
Lone Rock is a village in Richland County, Wisconsin, United States. The population was 929 at the 2000 census. The village is named after a sandstone outcrop.
According to a sign near the site, "The Lone Rock - At one time a massive piece of sandstone stood a short distance from the north bank of the Wisconsin River. The rock became a landmark for early river raftsmen and was known as 'Lone Rock' from which the town took its name. The rock was cut and used for basements and foundations in the village. What is left of the rock is located west of Highway 130 across from Brace Park."
The community was founded in 1856 and incorporated as a village in 1866.