About This Place
Milton is a city in Rock County, Wisconsin, United States. The population was 5,090 at the 2000 census (2008 estimate, 5,090).
The city was formed as a result of the 1967 merger of the villages of Milton and Milton Junction. In November of that year, ballots were cast by 1,093 voters from both villages (Milton: 515 to 47 in favor of the merge; Milton Junction: 322 to 201 in favor of the merge), and the referendum to merge the two was approved by 77%.
Originally named Prairie du Lac, Milton was settled in 1838 by Joseph Goodrich, who built an inn, the Milton House, at the intersection of two trade routes. The Milton House is today one of the oldest poured grout structures in the United States. A noted abolitionist, Goodrich is known to have aided fugitive slaves escape to freedom via the underground railroad.