Oconomowoc (pronounced /oʊkɑːnəməwɑːk/) is a city in Waukesha County, Wisconsin, United States. The name was derived from Coo-no-mo-wauk, the Potawatomi term for "waterfall." The population was 12,382 at the 2000 census. The city is partially adjacent to the Town of Oconomowoc and near the Village of Oconomowoc Lake.
In April 1837, Oconomowoc was settled by Charles Sheldon. He built a cabin where the current LaBelle Cemetery is. The first recorded birth in Oconomowoc was Eliza Dewey in 1840. The first death was a Mrs. Foster in 1841. Until 1845, residents of Oconomowoc had to go to Summit to get their mail. The first locomotive came into Oconomowoc in December 1854.
In 2003 Oconomowoc acquired Pabst Farms from the Town of Summit. Pabst Farms, which had previously been owned by the Pabst family, is being developed as a mixture of commercial and residential property.