About This Place
Plover is a village in Portage County, Wisconsin, United States and is a suburb of Stevens Point. It is included in the Stevens Point Micropolitan Statistical Area. The population was 10,520 at the 2000 census.
The area which later became Plover was selected as the county seat of Portage in 1844. The election for the county seat only noted the general location of an unsettled area around present-day Plover. Until the area was settled, county business was actually conducted in the community of Rushville. The Plover area was platted in 1845, and received a post office at the same time under the name of "Plover Portage." The name of the post office was changed to "Plover" in 1850.
In 1857, State Senator Luther Hanchett of Plover introduced a bill to incorporate the Village of Clayton in the community; he later amended the bill to make the name the Village of Algernon. That bill passed the Wisconsin Legislature, incorporating the Village of Algernon on March 6, 1857. (Algernon was probably named for Algernon B. Crosby, a postmaster in Portage County.) On May 4, 1858, the name of the village was again changed, this time to the Village of Stanton. And in 1864, the name of the village was finally changed to Plover.