About This Place
Nutter Fort is a town in Harrison County, West Virginia, United States, incorporated in 1923. The town is a southeastern suburb of Clarksburg, West Virginia. Since 1996, Nutter Fort has held the West Virginia Blackberry Festival during the first weekend of August. The population was 1,686 at the 2000 census. The town is also home to the Harrison County Sheriffs Department and the Harrison County Bureau of Emergency Services.
Arriving in the early 1770s, the families of brothers Thomas, Matthew, and Christopher Nutter were early European settlers to western Virginia. Thomas Nutter had received a land grant for 1,400 acres (5.7 km²) of land along Elk Creek in what was then Monongalia County. Together with the settlers Obadiah and Daniel Davisson, the Nutters constructed a fort in 1772, later known as Nutter's Fort, said to have been one of the strongest forts south of Fort Pitt. Located on the eastern side of Elk Creek, the fort was used by the Virginia state militia from 1776-1780 in conflicts with Native Americans. Thomas Nutter served as a Captain in the Revolutionary Army and died in early August 1808. When the community was incorporated in 1923, it took its name to honor both Nutter and the original settlement. A marker at the Nutter Fort campus of West Virginia Business College (formerly the location of Roosevelt-Wilson High School) indicates where the fort was located.
Nutter Fort is located at 39°15′44″N 80°19′21″W / 39.26222°N 80.3225°W / 39.26222; -80.3225 (39.262163, -80.322389), along Elk Creek.