The company known today as Pedersen Construction Inc. was originally founded in 1955 as Helmer Pedersen Construction Ltd. Helmer Pedersen established the business as a means of offering construction services to residential clients, businesses and municipalities of Northern Ontario. The company originally specialized in basement construction, excavation and concrete work. During the early years all of the day-to-day operations were managed by Helmer from his residence and two-bay garage next door. With office staff that consisted of his wife Norma. Over the past 50-plus years, the business has expanded and made many changes in response to the ever-growing needs of customers in Northern Ontario.