<p>The historic Geneva Courthouse building is one of Geneva's landmarks and icons. Presidents have spoken at the courthouse, where the stage for Swedish Days is set each year, displaying Geneva's charm and heritage. The building presently is the home of the Civil Division administrative offices of the Sixteenth Circuit Court.</p> <p>Michael J. Colwell is the presiding circuit judge of the Kane County Courthouse.</p> <p>Geneva was selected as the county seat in 1836. The city had a courthouse and jail by 1840, but the original courthouse burned down, and the four-story structure on South Third Street was commissioned to W.J. Edbrooke and Franklin P. Burnham at a cost of $195,000.</p> <p>The Soldiers' and Sailors' Monument in front of the courthouse was dedicated in 1915. The two naval guns next to the monument were donated to Kane County by the Federal Government in 1925.</p> <p>Many other Kane County court functions and the jail facility are located at the Kane County Judicial Center on Route 38 in St. Charles Township.</p> <p>The Sixteenth Circuit also has space in the DeKalb County Courthouse, the Kendall County Courthouse in Yorkville and the Kane County Judicial Center.</p>
Prefer MapQuest Classic? click here, then update your bookmark.
providing customized content and ads, and traffic measurement and analysis. By continuing to use this site, or by clicking