Pleasant Hill Baptist Church

155 Humboldt Ave
Dorchester MA 02121
Reviews
{{::location.tagLine.value.text}}

Sponsored Topics


See a problem? Let us know!
On September 10, 1939, at 39 Waumbeck Street a few dedicated people, Rev. Samuel H. Bullock Sr., his wife Lucille Bullock, Mrs. Jennie Simmons, Mr. Otis Simmons, Mr. Harold Hill, and Mr. Nathaniel Franklin came together to give birth to the Pleasant Hill Baptist Church. After outgrowing its birthplace, the group was led by Rev. Bullock in purchasing this lot on which the church now stands at 155 Humboldt Avenue, Dorchester, MA. The cornerstone was laid on December 14, 1941, and on Easter Sunday 1943, the partially completed building was dedicated. On June 1, 1944 the church was chartered and incorporated. In 1948 Pastor Bullock and the members entered the newly completed sanctuary singing the hymn Onward Christian Soldiers.Rev. Bullock was instrumental in taking the church to the community. Pleasant Hill became involved with juvenile delinquency problems, and contributed much to the educational development of the youth within the church, and the community. He became a lifelong member of the NAACP, carried its ministry to the battlefield in World War II, and initiated a weekly Sunday radio broadcast. The broadcast ministry continued for eight years and gained distinction for a congregation of color. Rev. Bullock labored 30 years in the vineyard and completed his work for the Master. The Lord in His wise providence called him from labor to reward on October 5, 1969. Top of page In November, 1970 the membership of Pleasant Hill called Rev. Boykin Sanders, a doctoral candidate at Harvard University. On February 7, 1971, Rev. Sanders became the second pastor of Pleasant Hill Baptist Church. Under his leadership the church's physical appearance was renovated. On January 13, 1974, the renovation proposal was approved. By the end of 1975, renovations upstairs and downstairs were complete. Several new features included a new heating system and a baptismal pool. In 1989 the church acquired a piece of real estate abutting the church on Humboldt Avenue. Rev. Sanders was pastor of Pleasant Hill from 1971 to 1990. Top of page During the years without a pastor, the officer, members, and friends remained faithful. After countless prayers and searching the church called Rev. Demetrius K. Williams, a doctoral candidate at Harvard University. On May 16, 1993 Rev. Williams was installed as the third pastor of the Pleasant Hill Baptist Church. Under the leadership of Rev. Williams the church continued its progress with the theme A Church with a Vision.A special emphasis of Rev. Williams was the importance of family and community. Under his leadership the church started the annual Family Dayweekend and Casual Dress Sunday.The church updated the church constitution and formed an advisory council. In 1996, Rev. Williams left Pleasant Hill to take a position at Tulane University in New Orleans, LA. Top of page In June 1997, Pleasant Hill Baptist Church called its fourth Pastor, Rev. Miniard Culpepper. Rev. Culpepper was born in Boston, Massachusetts, the son of a Baptist preacher and the grandson of the founder of Pleasant Hill Baptist Church, Dr. Rev. Samuel H. Bullock, Sr. He graduated from Brandeis University in 1976 where he received a bachelor of arts degree. Top of page Always aspiring to become an attorney, he entered Suffolk University Law School and graduated in 1982 with a jurist doctorate degree. He was called into the ministry in 1986 and entered Howard University School of Divinity where he graduated with a Master of Divinity degree. He served as Associate Minister at the historic Metropolitan Baptist Church in Washington, D.C., for seven years under the tutelage and leadership of Rev. Dr. H. Beecher Hicks. Top of page Rev. Culpepper was installed on June 8, 1997. He continues the legacy that his grandfather Rev. Bullock, Sr. and his grandmother, Mother Lucille Bullock started in 1939. Rev. Culpepper preaches and teaches the full Gospel, the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. His installation was celebr