The History of Reins-Sturdivant Funeral Home goes back almost 100 years and touches generations of families in Wilkes and surrounding counties. Although the business was incorporated as Reins-Sturdivant Funeral Home on August 4, 1930, the company traces its roots to James Calvin Reins establishing a monument business in Wilkesboro in 1894. Mr. Reins later moved the business to North Wilkesboro. He entered the undertaking business in 1917 and established Reins Funeral Home, the forerunner of Reins-Sturdivant Funeral Home. Mr. W. K. Sturdivant, Sr. came to North Wilkesboro from Chase City, Virginia on April 22, 1926 to assist Mr. Reins with the funeral business. He acquired a financial interest in the business and the name was changed to Reins-Sturdivant. The company was incorporated August 4, 1930, when the remainder of the business was purchased from Mr. Reins by W. K. Sturdivant, Sr., A. A. Sturdivant, and C. A. Canter The funeral home was located on Main Street in North Wilkesboro. An ambulance service was operated by the funeral home until 1967. In 1960, stock in the corporation was sold to the management and officers of the funeral home. In 1961, the funeral home was moved from Main Street to a new location on Armory Road in North Wilkesboro. The new facilities provided a large chapel, visitation rooms, and improved parking.
Prefer MapQuest Classic? click here, then update your bookmark.
providing customized content and ads, and traffic measurement and analysis. By continuing to use this site, or by clicking