Discounted movie tickets and exclusive restaurants deals aren’t the only way you can save money as a senior citizen. Many airlines now offer discounts for senior passengers flying to all sorts of destinations around the world. Follow along as we explore the 5 airlines offering the best flight discounts seniors can enjoy now!
Even though Southwest is already considered an affordable airline, they make flying for seniors even more affordable by offering discounts to travelers 65 years and older. To receive these discounts, when booking a flight online, you simply have to indicate how many seniors are in your party in the “Seniors” box. If you’re booking through a Southwest Airlines Customer Representative or travel agent, you simply have to indicate that you’re a senior (you will, of course, have to prove your age before flying). Not only do these discounts apply to both domestic and international flights but they are also refundable.
If you are a member of the American Association of Retired Persons (AARP) (available to people 50 years and older) or are simply traveling with an AARP member, you have the opportunity to save up to $200 on trans-Atlantic flights with British Airways. Available discounts are highlighted in red on British Airways’ site and to redeem your discount you must book your flights through the AARP website. Discounts apply to round-trip flights that are booked by April 30, 2020. That said, discounts are always subject to change so be sure to check the website or call to confirm current deals.
Here are some current British Airways discounts available to AARP members:
- AARP members save $65 off round-trip fares in economy (World Traveler) class, including some codeshare services.
- AARP members save $200 off round-trip fares in business (Club World) class, including some codeshare services.
By going to American Airlines‘ site, clicking “Advanced search”, providing your flight preferences, and clicking the “Senior (65+)” in the “Passengers” drop-down menu, you can see available discounted tickets for seniors. These discounts can’t be used in combination with other discounts, coupons, or promotional offers, and only apply to flights originating in a small selection of Latin American countries.
Here are the specific rules for redeeming senior discounts with American Airlines:
- For travel originating in Ecuador, passengers aged 65 and over can claim 50% off the adult fare.
- For travel originating in Honduras, passengers aged 60 and over can claim 25% off the adult fare — but there are a few catches. It only applies if you’re a Honduran citizen, OR if you have more than 10 years of legal residency in Honduras. OR if you’re retired or pensioned due to incapacitation — in which case, it doesn’t matter how old you are.
- For travel originating in Panama, men aged 60 and over, and women aged 55 and over, can claim 25% off the adult fare. (Note you must be the qualifying age at the time of purchase). This also applies to retired residents of Panama who have a Retirement Card issued by the Panamanian government.
Similarly, it’s also worth signing up for the Association of Mature American Citizens (AMAC), which you can also join after turning 50. While not necessarily related to American Airlines, they also offer discounted vacation packages for seniors.
United Airlines is yet another airline to offer discounts to seniors 65 years of age and older. Similar to American Airlines, you can find available senior discounts for United Airlines flights by booking online. When booking your flight, just select the number of “Seniors (65+)” under the “Travelers” drop-down menu to indicate how many people are eligible for any senior discounts that might be available for your itinerary. United Airlines will then present to you any available discounts. You can also find these discounts by asking your representative if booking by phone.
Delta Air Lines
If you find yourself frequenting the beautiful shores of Panama multiple times a year, or even once a year, then senior discounts offered by Delta Air Lines are perfect for you. This is because while Delta does offer senior discounts on flights, they only offer senior discounts on flights to Panama. These discounts also can’t be redeemed online, aren’t available to view on their site, and have specific eligibility. To find out what discounts are available and if you’re eligible, you have to call Delta Air Lines directly at 1-800-241-4141.