Soldotna is a city in Kenai Peninsula Borough, Alaska, United States. At the 2000 census the population was 3,759. According to 2005 Census Bureau estimates, the city had a population of 4,087. It is the seat of the Kenai Peninsula Borough.
In 1947, after World War II, United States government allowed settling of land on parts of the Kenal Peninsula under the Homestead Act. Veterans of the United States armed services were given a 90-day preference over non-veterans in selecting land and filing for property. Also in that year, the Sterling Highway right-of-way was cleared of trees from Cooper Landing to Kenai. The location of present-day Soldotna was selected as the site for the highway's bridge crossing the Kenai River.
The construction of the Sterling Highway provided a link from the Soldotna area to the outside world. More homesteads were taken and visitors came to fish in the area. The Soldotna post office opened in 1949 and other businesses opened in the next few years.