Camptonville (formerly, Comptonville and Gold Ridge) is a small town and census-designated place (CDP) located in northeastern Yuba County, California. The town is located 36 miles (58 km) northeast of Marysville, off Highway 49 between Downieville and Nevada City. It is located on a ridge between the North Fork and Middle Fork of the Yuba River, not far from New Bullards Bar Dam Reservoir. Camptonville lies at an elevation of 2825 feet (861 m). The population was 158 at the 2010 census.
Gold was discovered here in 1850, and the place became known as Gold Ridge. The name was changed to Camptonville in 1854 when the first post office opened. The name honors Robert Campton, the town blacksmith.
It was a center of the California Gold Rush and stopping point for travelers coming from Virginia City, Nevada (via Reno and Verdi) on the main route at the time, Henness Pass Road, or for those coming from the Donner Pass. The roaring town with over fifty saloons had brothels and even a bowling alley. After the tide of gold miners slowed, the local economy depended upon Camptonville's lumber mill. When it shut down, many of those that had not already left then departed. Fast-growing ponderosa pines rose throughout the town and most remnants of the original structures decomposed. Some buildings now present include the Lost Nugget gas station and convenience store, a post office, Camptonville Elementary School, a monument to the Pelton wheel, and the original Mayo Saloon. Of notable history are the Mountain House, Sleighville Inn, and the Oregon Creek covered bridge.