Nevada City, CA
Nevada City (formerly: Nevada, Deer Creek Dry Diggins, and Caldwell's Upper Store) is the county seat of Nevada County, California, USA, located 60 miles (97 km) northeast of Sacramento and 28 miles north of Auburn. In 1900, 3,250 people lived in Nevada City; in 1910, 2,689 lived there; at the 2000 census, the population was 3,001, and at the 2010 census it was 3,068.
It was first settled in 1849, during the California Gold Rush, under the name Nevada (meaning "snow-covered", a reference to the snow-topped mountains in the area). In 1850-51, it was the most important mining town in the state, Nevada County being the leading gold-mining county in the state. The town of Nevada was incorporated on April 19, 1856. In 1864, “City” was added to the name to avoid confusion with the State of Nevada, and since that time, the town has been legally, “Nevada City.” The former town of Coyoteville, California, later became Nevada City's northwestern section.
Several historical buildings have received National Register of Historic Places and/or California Historical Landmark status, and have been preserved. Some of these include: