Blythe is a city in Riverside County, California, United States, in the "Palo Verde Valley" of the Lower Colorado River Valley region, an agricultural area and part of the Colorado Desert along the Colorado River. Blythe was named after Thomas Blythe, a gold prospector who established primary water rights to the Colorado River in the region in 1877. The city was incorporated on July 21, 1916. The population was 20,817 at the 2010 census.
In 1882, Thomas Blythe, a native of England, came to what is now Blythe in favor of settling and finding real estate for further development. Blythe previously resided in San Francisco and had become wealthy through real estate investments. He was also involved in farming and mining. Blythe worked with partners William Calloway and George Irish until his death in 1883. No development occurred until the turn of the 20th century.
Frank Murphy and Ed Williams, who were involved on the cattle industry and came from nearby Arizona, came to the area in 1904 and were convinced it was well-suited for cattle and farming. With the help of W.A. Hobson, they formed the Palo Verde Land and Water Company. W.F. Holt, who helped develop nearby Imperial Valley, became the company's general manager. Holt resigned at 1912. Hobson Way is named in honor of W.A Hobson.