Burlington is a Home Rule Municipality, county seat, most populous place and only city in Kit Carson County, Colorado, United States. Its population was 4191 at the U.S. Census 2010. It is the first interchange in Colorado on Interstate 70 coming west from Kansas and the last going east.
Burlington was originally laid out one mile west of its present location in 1887 by a man named Lowell in anticipation of the arrival of the railroad. In addition to having the location wrong, Lowell also did not have title to the land. When the railroad did arrive, the Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific Railroad, it built its depot at the present site of Burlington and those who had built in Old Burlington moved their building to the new townsite. Trains began running in 1888. "The Settlement", about 12 miles northwest of Burlington, was settled by German immigrants from Russia, many from Hoffnungstal, South Russia, who, in addition to their homesteads, built Congregational and Lutheran churches.
Burlington is located at 39°18′15″N 102°16′7″W / 39.30417°N 102.26861°W / 39.30417; -102.26861 (39.304293, -102.268683) on the High Plains in eastern Colorado.