Fort Morgan, CO
The City of Fort Morgan is a Home Rule Municipality that is the county seat and the most populous city of Morgan County, Colorado, United States. The United States Census Bureau estimated that the city population was 10,844 in 2005.
The city was named for a military fort established on the site in 1865. The fort, first called Camp Wardwell was established along the Overland Trail to protect emigrants and supplies going to and from Denver and the mining districts. The fort was renamed in 1866 by General John Pope for one of his staff, Colonel Christopher A. Morgan, who had died tragically earlier that year. The fort would close in 1868, but in the short time the fort was active, 19 different companies from 11 regiments both cavalry and infantry, and an estimated 1,200 to 1,400 soldiers would be stationed at the fort. The town of Fort Morgan was platted just south of the old military fort’s ruins on May 1, 1884 by Abner S. Baker, a member of Greeley's Union Colony. The town became the county seat of the newly formed Morgan County on February 19, 1889.
Fort Morgan is located at 40°15′12″N 103°47′57″W / 40.25333°N 103.79917°W / 40.25333; -103.79917 (40.253262, -103.799063).