Mead is a Statutory Town in Weld County, Colorado, United States. The population was 2,017 at the 2000 census.
Mead was mentioned as the origin of a silver dolphin pendant in Bones, Season 2, Episode 11. Some outside scenes from the movie Die Hard 2 starring Bruce Willis were filmed at the Highlandlake Church near Mead (Of note is that "Highlandlake" is spelled as one word as opposed to two words, e.g., "Highland Lake"). As of 2011, there are no traffic signal lights in the town of Mead. The telephone central office for Mead (exchange 535) was recently upgraded to provide more advanced calling features, including DSL. Another upgrade of note is that the "all volunteer" fire department now has a full-time staff. Also of note is that Mead High School opened south of the town of Mead in 2009. There had previously been a high school in Mead, but it closed in the early 1960s. The motto of the town has been "the little town that could" although this has not been ubiquitously used in all literature or signage. Alternatively, and on the Mead web site the motto is, "A little town with a big future".
The Town of Mead was platted on February 16, 1906 and incorporated on March 17, 1908. The Town of Mead was named for Dr. Martin Luther Mead by his son, Paul Martin Mead, who founded the town. Dr. Mead was the first medical doctor in this area and a brother of "Deacon" Loren C. Mead, who founded the nearby community of Highlandlake, CO. The founder of the Town of Mead, was the nephew of Highlandlake founder, "Deacon” L. C. Mead, who had emigrated from Chicago and built his homestead at what is now Highlandlake. L. C. Mead was well known locally for his work with the Highland Ditch Company while that Company was surveying and building Highland Lake on his property. The Highland Ditch and its reservoir system was one of the first farm irrigation systems in the country and was, at that time, a subject of wide agricultural study at many of the country’s agricultural education institutions. The small unincorporated community of Highlandlake is still in existence and is located approximately 1 ½ miles northwest of Mead.Page text.