In 1995 Stapleton was replaced by Denver International Airport. It has now been decommissioned and the airport property is being redeveloped as a retail and residential neighborhood.
Stapleton was opened on October 17, 1929 as Denver Municipal Airport. Its name was changed to Stapleton Airfield after a 1944 expansion, in honor of Benjamin F. Stapleton, the city's mayor most of the time from 1923 to 1947, and the major force behind the project when it began in 1928. Concourse A, the original building from 1929, was still in operation when the airport closed. The airport was originally created by Ira Boyd Humphreys in 1919.