Ansonia is a city in New Haven County, Connecticut, United States, on the Naugatuck River, immediately north of Derby and about 12 miles (19 km) northwest of New Haven. The population was 19,249 at the 2010 census. The ZIP code for Ansonia is 06401. The city is serviced by the Metro North railroad. Ansonia Station is a stop on the railway passenger commuter service's Waterbury line, connecting to New York's Grand Central Station. It is also serviced by Connecticut Transit bus carrier. Route 8 state highway serves the city.
Ansonia, also referred to as "The Copper City," is recognized for its heavy machine manufacturing industry located in the heart of the lower Naugatuck Valley. Production includes copper, brass, rubber and plastics processing, molding and tubing, iron castings, sheet metal, electric, automatic screw machine, textiles and foundry products. The well-known Ansonia Clock Company was founded here in 1851. Birthplace of Revolutionary War Colonel and Diplomat David Humphreys. The city's devotion to its high school football team, the Ansonia Chargers, is legendary. Originally known as "The Lavender", the Chargers' annual game against arch-rival Naugatuck, on Thanksgiving morning, is one of the more significant events of the year for the two cities.
The area comprising the present Elm Street section of Ansonia and Derby Avenue section of Derby was first settled in 1652 and was originally a part of the township of Derby. In 1844, merchant and philanthropist Anson Greene Phelps (1781–1853) wanted to expand the old Borough of Birmingham (the present down town of the City of Derby) up along the west side of the Naugatuck River. Unfortunately since he was not able to purchase the land required from its owner, Anson Phelps acquired land along the east side of the river, which today is the city's downtown section, in 1844. A canal was dug to power the factories and businesses in the new industrial village and named it Ansonia. The name came about when Mr. Phelps wanted to call his new industrial village "Phelpsville" but found out there was another village in the region by that name. Under the suggestion of a friend, Mr. Phelps Latinized his first name thus Ansonia came about. Soon Ansonia became the most populous area of Derby and boasted many factories. The state chartered Ansonia as a borough of Derby in 1864 and amended it once again in 1871 granting full municipal privileges. In 1888, a petition was circulated in the borough of Ansonia for the purpose of becoming a separate township from Derby. In 1889 the State General Assembly granted the separation thus constituting the Borough, Hilltop, West Ansonia, and Elm Street areas as a separate town known as Ansonia. This was the 168th township in the State of Connecticut. In 1893, Ansonia was incorporated as a city, consolidating with the coterminous town and the old borough.