Virginia Gardens, FL
Virginia Gardens is a village in Miami-Dade County, Florida, United States. The population was 2,348 at the 2000 census. According to the U.S. Census Bureau's 2004 estimates, the village had a population of 2,294.
The tiny enclave of Virginia Gardens was born out of the love of horses. In 1947, Miami Springs (of which it was then a part) passed an ordinance outlawing horses from the city limits. In response, about 50 citizens decided to form their own city next door.
Virginia Gardens got its name because many of the founding residents were wealthy transplants who aptly named the village after their home state. At the time of incorporation, many of the residents owned large estates, some up to 5 acres (20,000 m2), where they could ride and enjoy their horses.