Locust Grove, GA
Locust Grove is a city in Henry County, Georgia, United States. The population was 2,322 at the 2000 census. Census Estimates for 2005 show a population of 3,434. Some unincorporated communities such as Luella and many rural areas surround Locust Grove and addresses in those communities have Locust Grove postal addresses.
The City of Locust Grove derived its name from a beautiful grove of locust trees that could be seen throughout the town. This tranquil Henry County community is a place for combining tradition with change. Locust Grove was a major rail distribution center for cotton, peaches, and other farm products. The city had three cotton gins and several warehouses. In 1870, the first store was built on Main StreCity of Locust Grove. Since that time many new businesses have made Locust Grove their home.
In 1893, the town was incorporated and the papers were officially signed on December 20, 1893. The original city limits extended mile in every direction from the train depot in the heart of town. The city government consisted of one mayor and five council members. The first to fill these positions were appointed until elections could take place. The first mayor was M.P. Sowell. Those appointed to the first city council were: G.P. Combs, C.M. Mahone, J.L. Garnder, R.C. Brown, and W.H. Peek. The first city clerk was C. W. Williams.