Sandy Springs, GA
Sandy Springs is a city in north Georgia, United States. It is a northern suburb of Atlanta. With a 2010 population of 93,853, Sandy Springs is the sixth-largest city in the state (after Athens), and the second-largest city in Metro Atlanta. Sandy Springs is located in north Fulton County, Georgia, just south of Roswell and west of Dunwoody. The city is named for the sandy springs that still exist as a protected historic site.
In 1842, the Austin-Johnson House was erected on what is now Johnson Ferry Road. It is the oldest house in Sandy Springs. In 1851, Wilson Spruill donated five acres (two hectares) of land for the founding of the Sandy Springs United Methodist Church, near the sandy spring for which the city is named. In 1905, the Hammond School was built at Johnson Ferry Road and Mt. Vernon Highway, across the street from the church.
After the Interstate Highway System was authorized by the Federal-Aid Highway Act of 1956, Sandy Springs experienced a housing boom, bringing new residents and major land development. In the 1960s and 1970s, Georgia 400 and Interstate 285 connected Sandy Springs to metro Atlanta.