S&S Food Administrators was the idea of J. A. Smith, Jr., "Smitty", a Macon, Ga., restaurateur known for innovative operating methods and quality service. The first S&S Cafeteria opened in Columbus, Ga., in 1936, and the company has continued to grow into the Smith & Sons corporation of today. The company was among the first to establish a cooperative buying and distribution program for a chain of food service establishments. The creation of State Wholesale Food the central purchasing arm of the company, assured the highest quality ingredients for the most efficient cost. Today that division operates out of a modern warehouse and distribution hub centrally located. S&S Food Administrators began offering food service management to hospitals, nursing homes, businesses, industries and educational accounts in 1957. S&S Food Administrators has added service to educational camps and vending management. S&S Food Administrators is still located in Macon, Ga.