The petition to incorporate the town of Claxton was approved by Tattnall Superior Court in April 1894.
The town had its visionary, W.R. Hendricks. In May 1890 there were only a couple of dwellings scattered around the area that is Claxton. W.R. Hendricks, son of Glenn and Nancy Hendricks, had been given a large tract of land by his parents. The Hendricks' ambition was to secure a railroad station at the site but they met considerable opposition from railroad company officials who maintained that existing stations in the area were sufficient to meet the needs. W.R. Hendricks made a proposition to railroad officials that a well be dug and pump installed free of charge so that trains could stop for water. The deal was made and actual construction began in the latter part of June 1890. The vision of building a town was fully supported by his mother who offered to give a lot to anyone who would erect a building upon it. A number of people accepted her offer so she revised the plan and proposed to sell one lot and give the adjoining parcel to those who desired to build.