Kanawha is a city in Hancock County, Iowa, United States. The population was 739 at the 2000 census.
The City of Kanawha celebrated founders day on July 22, 1899. The newly constructed railroad had arrived from Belmond, Iowa. Business' and some buildings moved from settlements three to four miles distant to establish in the new town on the railroad. Those settlements were Cuba, to the north, Magor, to the northwest, Mikesville, to the southwest, Aldrich, to the south (Drew, moved and renamed Bruce, was farther south), West Lake, to the east, and Bailey's Grove to the north east. Kanawha's founder, George Casper Call, petitioned Congressman J.P. Dolliver requesting a post office and proposing the name "Luzon". Luzon was rejected because it was thought to be too close to the name of an existing Iowa, Luzerne in Benton County. Faced with having to find another name, a railroad engineer and West Virginia native, suggested "Kanawha". The name met with approval.
Kanawha is located at 42°56′12″N 93°47′39″W / 42.93667°N 93.79417°W / 42.93667; -93.79417 (42.936773, -93.794305).