Manning is a city in Carroll County, Iowa, United States, along Iowa Highway 141. The population was 1,490 at the 2000 census. It is named for Orlando Harrison Manning, a Lieutenant Governor of Iowa.
Prior to the city's formation, the area of Manning was a swampy region occasionally used by local Native Americans for hunting. There were no nearby rivers and few trees.
The Iowa Southwestern was completed in 1880 and some yards and a depot were constructed at the future location of Manning, in the summer of 1881. In 1881 the Chicago, Milwaukee, and St. Paul Railroad was also constructing a road across Iowa, south of and parallel to the Northwestern. These railroads intersected at what is now Manning.