Sigourney (pronounced "SIGG-ur-nee") is a city in Keokuk County, Iowa, United States. The population was 2,209 at the 2000 census. It is the county seat of Keokuk County.
Keokuk County was opened for white settlement in 1843, and the town got its start in 1844 when S.A. James built the first cabin there. Other families began to settle there as well, and in 1844, the town was named by county commissioner Dr. George H. Stone in honor of popular poet Lydia Sigourney. A large oil-painted portrait of Lydia still graces the foyer of the county courthouse.
Sigourney's longitude and latitude coordinates
in decimal form are 41.333244, -92.203220.