Washington is a city in and the county seat of Washington County, Iowa, United States. It is part of the Iowa City, Iowa Metropolitan Statistical Area. The population was 7,047 at the 2000 census.
Washington was the location of the first county hospital built west of the Mississippi River. Founded in 1912 in a basement and originally named Washington County Hospital, it is now named Washington County Hospitals & Clinics (WCHC) as of 1998. The original 3 story building was torn down in the summer of 2006 to build a new hospital, despite some local objections.
Washington is located at 41°18′0″N 91°41′21″W / 41.3°N 91.68917°W / 41.3; -91.68917 (41.299941, -91.689175).