Fox River Grove, IL
Fox River Grove is a village in the Cuba Township of Lake County and the Algonquin Township of McHenry County, Illinois, United States. The population was 4,862 at the 2000 census.
Into the 1860s the Ojibwa Indians used Fox River Grove region for their winter home.
In 1869 Frank Opatrny purchased 80 acres (320,000 m2) of land on the southern shore of the Fox River. The area gained a reputation with city dwellers as an ideal vacation spot. In 1900, Frank's son Eman Opatrny bought the land from his father converting the family land into a tourist destination the Fox River Picnic Grove. In 1902, Opatrny added a luxury hotel, named the Castle Pavilion, which featured windows from the 1893 World's Columbian Exposition.