Hamilton is a city in Hancock County, Illinois, United States. The population was 3,029 at the 2000 census. The city is located directly across the Mississippi River from Keokuk, Iowa. Hamilton is the largest city in Hancock County.
Hamilton was laid out in 1852 by several men in the area, including Samuel Gordon and Bryant Bartlett. Hamilton was officially incorporated as a town in 1854, and then re-incorporated as a city in 1859. Artois Hamilton, for whom the town was named, was also active in the early history of the town. It is the largest City in Hancock County. It is along the Mississippi and the Great River Road runs through it. To learn more about Hamilton, read Judy Kammerer's book, History of Hamilton, Illinois.
Hamilton Community Unit School District #328 consists of Hamilton Elementary, Hamilton Junior High School, and Hamilton High School. The school's mascot is the Cardinals, but is switching over to Titans with the sports co-op with Warsaw and Nauvoo schools. The only sports that will still be "Cardinals" are Scholastic Bowl and Junior High and Elementary sports. Recently[when?], the newly co-oped West Hancock (Hamilton, Warsaw, Nauvoo-Colusa) Girls basketball team took first place in the IHSA Class 2A Championship. It is the first year of the co-op basketball team, and their first championship.