Noble is a village in Richland County, Illinois, United States. The population was 746 at the 2000 census.
Noble Township was settled first by the Evans family who came in 1818. L.L. Allender, who had a ferry across Muddy River on the old "trace road," was also an early settler. James Broughton, Arvin Webster, William Elliott, Owen Coats and Lemuel Truitt were also early prominent citizens of the township. Lemuel Truitt came to Richland County in 1839 from Lawrence County, Illinois having come there in 1837. Truitt was from Maryland and was a progressive individual, although like many of the pioneers, he was uneducated. He soon became a businessman and a civic leader.
The land in Noble and the surrounding land was originally deeded by President Fillmore to Lemuel Truitt in 1853. It has been established that Lemuel Truitt was the first settler to come out of the wooded area and across the prairie to live in what later became Noble. Noble was laid out in 1862 by Judge Alfred Kitchell of Olney and Mr. Truitt gave Judge Kitchell certain lots in Noble as payment. The village consisted of 20 blocks of 16 lots each, paralleling the railroad. Mr. Truitt donated the land to the village for the lots now used by some of the churches, the park and the recreational grounds west of the park. Prior to the platting, a Methodist Church had been built and at the time of incorporation in 1862 the population had grown to 600.