The village of Steger (35 miles south of Chicago) lies along the dividing line on the south end of Cook County and north end of Will County in the U.S. state of Illinois. The population was 9,682 at the 2000 census, and estimated to be 10,409 as of 2005.
In 1893, John Valentine Steger opened a piano factory on 20 acres (81,000 m2) of land alongside the railroad south of Chicago Heights. With 324 residents, the village incorporated in 1896. John Steger agreed to pay $400 toward incorporation costs to ensure that the name of the town be dubbed "Steger" rather than "Columbia Heights." Steger Pianos were made in the village until 1926. By 1920, Steger was considered by some as the “piano capital of the world,” producing more than a hundred pianos a day.
Steger has been a regular stop on the annual Driving The Dixie event since its inception. This event involves participants driving down Historic Dixie Highway in the Chicago Southland and visiting various communities along the way.