Wayne is a village in DuPage and Kane County, Illinois. The eastern portion, in DuPage County, is in Wayne Township while the western portion, in Kane County, is in St. Charles Township. The population was 2,137 at the 2000 census.
In the late 19th and early 20th century, Wayne was a prominent center of horse breeding and farming research. The community was known for breeding French Percheron horses, a draft horse similar to a Clydesdale.
In May 1834, settlers began to move into Wayne Township (believed to be named after Maj. Gen. Anthony Wayne). The first railroad arrived in 1849, and Solomon Dunham arranged for an inn, a general store, and a house to be built east of the Chicago and Northwestern tracks at Army Trail Road, where he became station agent and postmaster for a settlement area named Wayne Station. By 1861, all the land in the township had been settled, with business districts at Wayne Center near present day Fair Oaks Road at Army Trail and Wayne Station, now known as the Village of Wayne.